The Royal Botanic Garden in Edinburgh, Scotland has been around since the 17th century. There are over 25 glasshouses on the grounds. Some are used for research, quarantine, and propagation purposes but the two worth noting are the Tropical Palm house, built in 1834, and the Temperate Palm House, (the tallest in Britain) built in 1858. Unfortunately, by the 1960s both conservatories had fallen into disrepair and had to be replaced. Even so, it is noted that, “The radical design of the 1967 glasshouses was hailed as the most innovative since Paxton’s Great Conservatory at Chatsworth, built in the 1830s…” We have a more indepth study on both of these glasshouses in Our Heritage section, we invite you to go there to learn more. In January 2012, bad storms, accompanied by strong winds, damaged many of the glasshouses (approximately 400 – 600 panes of glass were broken) and the plants within them.
Reglazing the glasshouses was of the utmost importance because of the need to keep the climates within the conservatories at a constant level, if this was not done, the plants within faced further damage. Spare glass panes are kept in stock but not enough to replace all that were lost. Therefore it became necessary to have more made. Appeals for funds went out to the public in the weeks following the storm and by the 25th of January, more than £6,000 were received from the public. The Scottish government added £128,183 in funds to help the restoration efforts which were begun immediately. Included in these efforts were a long-term strategy to safety-proof the glasshouses from future storms of this magnitude.